INsig2 invites you to one-day OSINT training during the HTCIA International Conference & Expo!
September 27, 2022, 09:00 AM - 03:00 PM
Atlantic City, Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Atlantic City
This course focuses on the ability to gather information on people, groups, or companies only from the free online available sources. Participants will learn frameworks and basic procedures necessary to perform OSINT investigation. The course is hands-on and will teach a range of skills on how to prepare the workstation for investigation, staying anonymous, setting up false online identities, utilize different techniques for gathering intelligence, and performing blockchain transaction searches. The course is focused on giving a wide overview of what OSINT is and the relevance behind it. The class will show a number of different scenarios that will get the participants into the right mindset that will enable them to better understand the relevance of found data and make it actionable. An important part of the class will be emulating a mobile environment, using the virtual mobile OS for OSINT investigation, which will provide a different insight on how to obtain information. Trainers will show and explain techniques for getting information from open source resources, analyzing cryptocurrencies, and exploring blockchain based on real-case scenarios.
With this course, participants will understand and practically apply various techniques to gather underlaying data and how to properly interpret it.
- Properly prepare workstation for OSINT investigations
- To equip the student with the skills to carry out highly advanced techniques of searching the Internet whilst remaining anonymous
- To enable the student to be familiar with specialist software tools and understand the results
- The introduce little-known online resources
- Set up the toolkit and emulated mobile operating system for OSINT investigations
- Understand how blockchains, cryptocurrencies, and wallets function and what is their forensic value
Participants need to have their own workstations, with installed Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox browsers. The minimum configuration is as follows:
- Laptop, 4 cores minimum
- 8 GB of RAM
- Win 10 or later or Mac with VMware software or bootcamp
- Virtualization support
- 256 SSD, with at least 80GB of free space
Participants need to create a free account for ProtonVPN: https://account.protonvpn.com/signup
*Special notice on ProtonVPN – just create an account, don’t do anything else since once you start it you have only 7 day trial period that we’ll need for the class!
- OSINT defined
- Preparing the right mindset
- How internet works
- Networks and Internet
- Preparing the workstation and the investigation environment
- Web browsers and privacy
- Web browser plugins
- Virtual machines
- Setting up your own false identities
- Search engines
- General info
- Sources of open source intelligence
- Social networks
- Data breaches and data leaks
- Virtualizing mobile devices
- Using virtual mobile OS for OSINT investigation
- Blockchain and cryptocurrency investigations
The class application is on the basis, first come first serve. There are 30 open seats.
The class starts at 9 AM local time and will be for the duration of 6 hours.